How to be a vegetarian
Step 1. Cook for yourself.
List of things that are easy on vegetarian diet:
- Everything is edible. Even if you undercook something it will still be edible and not taste too bad.
- Abundance of low/ no-cook foods. Tofu, scrambled eggs, peanut butter, stirfried vegetables, potatoes, pasta, rice, peanut butter toast, trail mix, protein drinks, fruits, beans, corn, salad, hashbrowns, tea/coffee/milk, premade soup, peanut butter pretzels etc.
- Cost. These are not traditionally considered health food and do not get markups.
- Clean up
List of things that are difficult on non-vegetarian diet:
- Food safety: having a dedicated knife for red meat, a cutting board, and managing shelf life.
- Knowledge of recipes. Just looking at vegetarian dishes there are still so many recipes I will never be able to try.
- Transporting uncooked food from store to apartment.
- Food poisoning risks
I also eat frozen shrimp and salmon, beyond meat items, and normal dishes at restaurants. I don't actually consider myself a vegetarian. But I agree that consuming less meat is one of the most impactful choices you can make as a consumer, and it's way more convenient as a student.